May 31, 2011

Thai Noodle Soup

I am now obsessed with what I can do with a chicken carcass. On nights when I roast a chicken, i throw the carcass (skin and bones) in the pot to get the broth going the night before I eat it. Then all I have to do is heat it up the next day.

1 Chicken Carcass
1 Onion
3 Whole Cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3-4 garlic cloves
1/4-1/2 cup of Soy Sauce (until the water is a light brown color)
1 box Thai rice noodles
Scallions
VEGGIES – I like broccoli and carrots.
Peanuts
Extra firm tofu or chicken

Night before
Fill a stock pot with water
Add garlic, cinnamon, onion, cloves
Wait for it to boil and then add chicken carcass (with white meat you want to use)
Cook for 1-2 hours. If you want it more condensed, remove the lid and let some of the water boil off.
Turn off heat
Strain the soup and put the stock back in the pot. I just let it sit on the stove-top all night.
(I do this the night before, just because when I get home from work the next day, I need to get dinner ready quick)

Day of
Heat up the stock
Once stock is boiling, throw in the veggies for 3 minutes then turn off heat.
Cook the thai noodles (takes about 3 minutes)
Put noodles bowls
Add broth and veggies on top

If you want to add tofu – cut up and sautee tofu in evoo and soy sauce for about 10 minutes until its brown. Add it to the soup for some extra protein. Ethan loves this!

No comments:

Post a Comment