May 31, 2011

Easy Meatballs

My mother in law makes these and they are fabulous. Super easy too. These take hardly any time at all. I make a big batch so that I can freeze them. I put them in little ziplock bags - about 6-8 in a bag - so that I can quickly add them to pasta or soup. Kids love them and they are delich! 


1-2 lbs Beef or Turkey

Oatmeal

Breadcrumbs

Grated cheese

Dry Mustard

Oregano

Egg

Ground Almonds (from Trader Joes) (these are not necessary, but add some extra protein)


I put 1 to 2  pounds of ground beef or turkey or a combination in a bowl.  Then I add one or all of the following: oatmeal, breadcrumbs, parmesan or grated cheese. 


The more of the above ingredients I add the more meat balls I have.

 

Then I add,  salt, pepper, dry mustard and oregano (if I want it to have an Italian flavor) and an egg.  I mix it up well and add more eggs  if it appears dry.

  

I then make one very small meatball and microwave it for a 10 seconds or so, so I can taste the meatball.  After tasting the meatball adjust the seasonings.

 

I then make the meatballs and  bake them on a broiler pan in the a 375 oven for about 20 minutes.  Turning them once while they are cooking.  You may have to adjust the time if you make really big or small meatballs.


I use a broiler pan or a cooling rack over a baking pan so the fat can drop to the bottom pan while they cook.

 

If you are going to freeze them,  I would put them in a single layer on  a wax paper lined pan for about 15 minutes.  Then I move them to plastic pages or containers.  By freezing them first they should not stick to each other.


You can add these to pasta for a last minute meal or even just snack on them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment